Saturday, January 17, 2009

Laywers...

Lawyers are an expensive and necessary solution to getting out of trouble. I understand that there are many crooked lawyers, and like we discussed in class today there are lawyers that use their connections to in turn make money off people. But in the long run people are better off having a crooked lawyer represent them then not having a lawyer at all. Personally I haven’t had much experience with lawyers (besides them being my friends). But I know that if I get in trouble I need to call one, and I hope the one that I call will be a good one. In the end it’s all about connections. Chances are you are going to call a lawyer that you know, have used or know someone who has used them and gotten favorable results. If you have a good friend of family member who hired a lawyer that lost a case for them, I’m sure you wouldn’t recommend them to anyone else or use them yourself.

One thing that I will never understand is how a lawyer can defend someone that they know is guilty, and on top of that, actually be happy that this guilty person doesn’t get convicted and punished for the crime that they committed. I have to believe that these lawyers are de-sensitized to the pain and suffering that their client may have inflicted upon others and are instead focused on their paychecks and the satisfaction of winning. I believe that you have to be able to trust your lawyer and hope that they are doing what’s best for you, and not what’s best for themselves or their firm which I can only imagine is a difficult thing to decipher. With all of the advertisements and commercials of lawyers promising you everything, how can you really know what to believe?

2 comments:

  1. I actually find this opinion to be well-constructed. Lawyers are an expensive necessity when you get caught up in a legal tangle, and while a number are crude, there a number not so crude with good intentions. However, it is gray territory. You can't be sure if a lawyer is trustworthy or more bent than twisted metal. Lawyers are like egnimas. They're mysteries that you figure out gradually as you get to know them as people.

    Even so. They are just people. Even they are stuck in tight spots they can't escape due to their job. It's rather sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d have to agree with you 100% on the fact that lawyers are expensive. I actually spent almost $10,000 just to take my ex to court. And all I wanted was to see my daughters. Normally, it’s the women that take the men to court. But in my case, it was the other way around. Even if I did not buy a car or house at the time, I can honestly say that it was probably the best investment I’ve made. Because of it, I have joint legal custody with my ex and I see my girls every weekend. Although frustrating and time consuming-it lasted 2 years, I am happy that my daughters are in my life. That was my main goal. I’m very fortunate I was able to get a great lawyer to represent me. He may have been expensive, but he gave me what I wanted. He was someone I grew to trust since he was representing me. Throughout the two years that he was my lawyer, I saw more to him than the way most lawyers today are portrayed. Hey, they’re human too! It’s just sad that there are crooked lawyers as well. I guess the saying is true about “You get what you pay for”.
    Personally, I have never been in trouble with the law. I hope it stays that way. If I ever need a lawyer, I’ll be sure to get a hold of you since you have the connections.

    ReplyDelete